Top Tips for Facial Oils
Put oil on my face we hear you shriek, are you mad! Using oil on your face will break you out! Using oil on your face will block your pores! Using oil on your face is bad!
And yet perhaps you have noticed that facial oils are everywhere, and growing in popularity, not least of all our own Organic Facial Essence with Rose & Marula and Deep Nourish Facial Essence with Rose & Blackcurrant.
Confused? Well the whole oil on your face thing is another of those urban myths, confirms Rose Tree founder, Olga.
We tend to associate putting oil on our face as giving rise to problem skin; spots, break outs, black heads - but in fact nothing could be further from the truth.
Oils are super hydrating and they can balance oil production, not just for dry skin but also those of us with oily skin, and even skin prone to acne.
Over cleansing and moisturising (and some of the harsher products on the market) can actually over stimulate the sebum glands resulting in more oil production, while using a facial oil can actually decrease your skin's oil production.
A high quality facial oil can smooth away fine lines, providing an anti-ageing boost to skin leaving it super hydrated and feeling amazingly soft and moisturised.
Of course not all oils are created equal, the make-up of any facial oil is key, and we would always recommend going with an organic facial oil if possible . See our Top Tips for Facial Oils here:
- Check out the ingredients, look for all natural botanical oils without any chemical additives or preservatives. The ingredients make a huge difference. I hero ingredient at 1% in a base of paraffin derived gunge is not going to cut it. An organic oil will not contain any chemicals. Labels do not lie!
- To apply a facial oil, take a tiny amount - a couple of drops as a starting point and apply to clean skin. Less is more! Think tantalising your skin drop by drop with nature's most precious botanicals not basting a chicken. Warm the oil gently in your hands and press lightly into your face, breathing in the natural aroma. If you have time, you can work the oil gently into the skin further, lightly massaging in an upward movement, and around the eye socket area. Also don't forget your neck and décolleté area!
- A high quality oil, will not leave your skin greasy or oily, nor block pores. Even women with oily skins can benefit from using a facial oil, just follow the steps above and use a tiny amount. Oily skins often breakout as a result of the strong oil stripping products that we use (often labelled as products to help oily skins ironically) - resulting in the skin producing more oil to compensate!
- Facial oils can be used twice a day, morning and/or evening to suit your lifestyle. Many people prefer to use them as an intensive treatment before going to bed. Though they can be used in the morning, under make up; just allow a few minutes between applying a facial oil and your make-up.
- Store your facial oil, in a cool, dark place - away from a bright sunny window sill to preserve the powerful botanicals and look out for airless pump type dispensers which keep the air from coming into contact with the oil.
Other questions? Drop me a comment below