Exciting news… you can now shop for your favourite TRT goodies in our London boutique. We are thrilled to be sharing the London home of luxe British Womenswear brand Matilda & Quinn and classic and contemporary London Jewellery brand, Kastur Jewels!
Set in the heart of Islington (right next to Carluccio's, so the perfect opportunity for brunch, or a glass of something nice … you see how our mind works); along side their full collections, the boutique, Gallery 5, showcases independent British luxury brands, of which The Rose Tree is proud to be one.
Come along and say hi, and take the opportunity to play around with our award winning organic skincare to see what your skin likes the best and to snap up some of our eco luxe pure flower oil candles.
309 Upper Street
London N1 2TU
Monday - Wednesday 1030 - 1830
Thursday - Saturday 1030 - 1900
Sunday - 1200 - 1800
For many, organic skincare is a natural progression from the food that we eat day to day; environmentally friendly, sustainably sourced and with respect for the world that we live in. Plus studies are now showing that there are health benefits for crops grown using organic systems, containing less heavy metals and pesticides and more antioxidants.
For skincare, focussing on organic and natural skincare has other significant advantages. We know that much of what we put on our skins can be absorbed into our blood stream, just consider the use of nicotine patches for example. Therefore being aware of what ingredients are in the products that you use every day makes perfect sense.
Taking this a step further, so many of us suffer with finicky over sensitised skin, which is further exacerbated by some of the chemical additions in many of our everyday products. We believe that stripping it back to basics allows for skincare that is luxurious, effective and indulgent, packed full of skin nurturing vitamins and anti-oxidants.
For most of us buying our skincare products from the high street, making that jump to organic skincare results in a noticeable and significant difference. For example, rather than a cleanser filled with artificial colour (to give it that delicate 'natural' white colour), and a 'natural fruity' smell from chemical scents that can be skin irritating, you can find a cleansing product made from beautifully scented oils, butters and other pure botanicals.
That means no cheap filling ingredients, no empty ingredients and no superfluous and potentially skin irritating colours and scents. (No parabens, SLS/SLES, PEGs, Phtalates, Triclosan, Petroleum/paraffin oil, Propylene Glycol, Butylene Glycol, any artificial fragrance or colours etc.) Of course there is a flip side - the pure oils and butters cost more than their paraffin derived equivalents, and they don't come with an unlimited shelf life - but we believe the pay off, in terms of your skin, and our planet makes for a winning proposition all round.
All of our Rose Tree goodies follow this outlook. We offer organic skincare that is luxurious, effectual and indulgent, packed full of skin nurturing vitamins and anti-oxidants without the synthetic fragrances or colours or other chemical witchery. It sounds so simple - and we like simplicity. Formulated by hand with potent botanicals, organic oils and butters and delectably scented flower oils; we are passionate about the quality of our ingredients. And that makes for skincare that gives results naturally leaves your skin feeling amazing. A winning combination we like to think...
Lavender is one of your favourite scents - The Rose Tree customers cited this most often when asked what scent they found most relaxing. It is also one of the most versatile essential oils we use, not only for it's easily recognisable scent but because it has both a relaxing and stimulating effect on our bodies, has antiseptic properties and a balancing effect on our skins. But a word of warning, ensure you use 100% pure essential oil!
And because it is supremely versatile, here are our Top Ten Tips for using lavender essential oil:
- Feeling stressed? A couple of drops of lavender essential oil on a tissue and inhaling deeply will help calm the mind.
- Need a little help sleeping? Try a couple of drops of lavender oil on your pillow for perfect sweet dreams.
- For a headache, add a couple of drops of lavender oil on a wrung out flannel and pop in the fridge in a plastic bag. When cool, place the flannel on your forehead and close your eyes for a few moments and breathe deeply.
- Need a mid afternoon pick me up? Inhale gently a few drops on a tissue and let the scent gently stimulate your senses.
- Lavender is also great if you are feeling dizzy - as a result of stress or over doing things. Use it like smelling salts, sniff gently and close your eyes for a moment.
- Try lavender oil in the bath, 8 drops or so in a hot bath will make you feel pleasantly drowsy and set you up for a good night's sleep, in a slightly cooler bath, lavender will have an uplifting effect and leave you feeling energised and ready to go!
- For sensitive skin in the bath, try a mix of lavender and chamomile essential oils, 4 drops of each would be perfect.
- Pack your lavender oil when heading off on holiday, a drop on insect bites will help calm the itching and irritation.
- Try a couple of drops of lavender oil in a room vaporiser and benefit from a triple whammy - the amazing scent, it kills airborne germs, so great when your other half is coughing and spluttering and helps reduce tension!
- Try an aromatic lavender body massage using 15 drops of lavender oil in 60ml of a carrier oil, e.g. almond or sunflower oils.
If you have any other tips and tricks with lavender, we would love to hear them!
Ever wondered about how the scent in your favourite candle or skincare product has the power to relax or revitalise you, or to unlock a memory from your past?
Our sense of smell is incredibly powerful - and uncontrollable - and yet is one of the least appreciated of our senses. We have the ability to pick up and identify over 10,000 smells!
The word 'olfactory' comes from the Latin 'olfacere' to smell, and it is via the olfactory nerve that the magic happens. The inside of our nose is formed of special nerve cells that connect direct to the brain via the olfactory nerves.
Our olfactory nerves are made up of tiny fibres and cilia, tiny hairs on the tip. As air passes through our nostrils, it passes over and touches on the cilia, which in turns sends a signal to our brain to register the smell. The process is incredibly complex and understanding the science behind our ability to smell is ever developing.
Our sense of smell is a significant aspect of our wellbeing; our brain is triggered into categorising any smell into an action - are we safe, friend or foe etc. And interestingly this is different for different people, what you associate as safe and relaxing might have completely the opposite effect on someone else.
The amazing essential oils we use can come from all parts of a plant; rose from the flower, rosemary from leaves, black pepper from seeds, juniper from berries, cedar from wood, ginger from the root.
And they do have the power to take us away... We asked some of our team and customers what they thought of when they lit our candles: 'Cut summer flowers" "Winter's evening in front of a fire" "Arabian Nights, story telling as a child" "Turkish Delight!" Quite a mix! Tell us what different scents evoke for you!
You can find our organic essential oil candles here: