Top Tips for Lavender
Lavender is one of your favourite scents - The Rose Tree customers cited this most often when asked what scent they found most relaxing. It is also one of the most versatile essential oils we use, not only for it's easily recognisable scent but because it has both a relaxing and stimulating effect on our bodies, has antiseptic properties and a balancing effect on our skins. But a word of warning, ensure you use 100% pure essential oil!
And because it is supremely versatile, here are our Top Ten Tips for using lavender essential oil:
- Feeling stressed? A couple of drops of lavender essential oil on a tissue and inhaling deeply will help calm the mind.
- Need a little help sleeping? Try a couple of drops of lavender oil on your pillow for perfect sweet dreams.
- For a headache, add a couple of drops of lavender oil on a wrung out flannel and pop in the fridge in a plastic bag. When cool, place the flannel on your forehead and close your eyes for a few moments and breathe deeply.
- Need a mid afternoon pick me up? Inhale gently a few drops on a tissue and let the scent gently stimulate your senses.
- Lavender is also great if you are feeling dizzy - as a result of stress or over doing things. Use it like smelling salts, sniff gently and close your eyes for a moment.
- Try lavender oil in the bath, 8 drops or so in a hot bath will make you feel pleasantly drowsy and set you up for a good night's sleep, in a slightly cooler bath, lavender will have an uplifting effect and leave you feeling energised and ready to go!
- For sensitive skin in the bath, try a mix of lavender and chamomile essential oils, 4 drops of each would be perfect.
- Pack your lavender oil when heading off on holiday, a drop on insect bites will help calm the itching and irritation.
- Try a couple of drops of lavender oil in a room vaporiser and benefit from a triple whammy - the amazing scent, it kills airborne germs, so great when your other half is coughing and spluttering and helps reduce tension!
- Try an aromatic lavender body massage using 15 drops of lavender oil in 60ml of a carrier oil, e.g. almond or sunflower oils.
If you have any other tips and tricks with lavender, we would love to hear them!